Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Why Freedom of Speech (and Freedom After Speech) is Important

In Sinkapore, there is no freedom of speech. Correction. There is freedom of speech, just no freedom after speech. In America, you have both (conspiracy theories aside).

So why is freedom of speech (before & after) important? Cause, it's amusing.

This coming Tuesday, is some big day for the Americans. WL hasn't figured out why. But based on sporadic data I've seen around campus, it's some kind of preliminary voting. Honestly, I dunno how the American politics system works... so I won't say much if not I'll only embarrass myself.

Oh ya and because of this, we have crackpots emerging out in campus. Today, some nutcase was shouting at the top of his voice near Ackermann (i.e. central part of campus), claiming that American will be doomed by God if they voted for {I can't remember the person's name}.

Damn it was funny...

Oh wait... but I think in Sinkapore that's allowed. Cause it was only 1 person and not an assembly of more than four people. LOL. No wait... but there's a difference. In Sinkapore, a squad of riot police armed to the teeth will arrive on the scene to make sure nothing happens. In America, we see the crackpot and laugh at him. (Ok, nobody has laughing... but I almost did).

Then again, the nutcase was preaching about not voting for that so-and-so. In Sinkapore, if some nutcase were to start publicly preaching that we shouldn't vote for LKY if not we will be doomed by God... 1 person or not... I think that person will disappear before you can say "WTF?"

No comments: