Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Commentary on Symmetry

There's one pt I disagree with the Prof and TA on the way they teach Symmetry in Inorganic Chemistry.

They teach that Sigma-V and Sigma-H symmetry operations do not actually mean "vertical" and "horizontal"... but rather it is parallel to or perpendicular to the principle axis. Technically, that is correct.

However, I find that if you orientate the principal axis such that it is the "x-axis" (and you make this a habit and do it all the time), you will find that the V and H notations actually make sense in the literal sense of the word. Cause if it's parallel to the principal axis it will be "standing up" = vertical, and if it is perpendicular to the principal axis it will "cut across" = horizontal. WL thinks that's how the notations V and H comes from... wonder if I am right.

No comments: