Sunday, January 20, 2008

America is Different - It is Chiral!!!

Ah... finally I figured out why America is so much the same as back home, yet something is out of place.

America is the Enantiomer of Singapore (or more generally European countries). They are non superimposable mirror images!!!

I think everyone (except me) knows that the Americans like to be the damn chao-extra in the world. They use the Imperial system of measurement (e.g. feet and inches) while the rest of the world has moved on to the Metric system (e.g. cm). (Sidenote: Luckily science is taught by using SI Units... I'll fuck em upside down if the calculations comes in feet and inches!!!)

Similarly for cars, the drivers seat is on the erm...right for Singapore (and other European countries), but it's on the left for America. And because of this... America is Singapore's enantiomers. Right is Left and Left is Right. Up is Down and Down is Up.

Examples:

1) Boarding the Bus. You board from the RHS of the bus instead of the LHS. Which is why the approach of the bus is opposite in Singapore, and so are the ways bus terminals are designed.

2) Because of chirality, I think the order of street traffic are reversed. Now I can't really remember which side of the road is the up or down traffic... but basically whatever you have it in Singapore just reverse it.

3) And so... even crossing the roads is a bit different. You have to swap the order in which you look for traffic, cause the lane nearest to you has traffic approaching from the opposite direction.

4) And finally, even the fucking doors are chiral. I always move the handle to lock the room when what I wanted was to open it. Even they have to swap the lock and the open order around! Arghhh!!!

No comments: