Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Deontology

Alright, we've been analyzing our stay here in America from a Utilitarian approach to date (i.e. does the experience and benefits gained justify the financial cost).

Like in Ethics class, we learn about another approach to view problems, from a deontological approach, i.e. the rightness of the action taken. So adapting this concept, we shall now analyze our stay here in comparison to our "absolute" objectives for coming here.

Objectives for SEP
1) Adapt to American culture/lifestyle.
2) Independent living and facing the hazards of domestic chores.
3) Find out more about grad sch.
4) Kill off the undesirable NUS modules like USP First-Tier.
5) Stop thinking about mugging for the fucking A.
6) Buy electronics that may not be available in Singapore.

Let's review em:

1) As much as I am unwilling to admit, I think this objective has been quite successful. I'm not crying. And I sure as hell do not want to go home (not now anyway).

2) Similar to the previous pt, I think I'm doing pretty well.

In honestly though (1) and (2) were probably easily achievable as I'm in LA (a multi-racial society) and living in a Hall (food and utilities taken care of). So stop smiling WL, you got off lucky!!!

3) This is an ongoing process... which I have confidence of achieving.

4) Already done. Killed 2 USP First-Tier. And CM3292. Woots!

5) Ok, this needs some work. Hey, it's a big psychological breakthrough ok?

6) Working on it. But this is inevitable once I get my bloody Visa Check Card.

So, it seems that all objectives on SEP has been successfully (at least partially). So, money aside why is WL not happy? I think I finally figure out why...

It's all your fault dude! Yes, you! I'm referring to everyone back at home, the NUS Student community in particular. You see, somehow WL got subconsciously influenced by you guys that going for SEP means having a good time, doing something different, enjoying, partying, go sightseeing, take pictures, visit places, go Las Vegas, etc...

One Question: WHY? Why do I have to do the above things when I am in LA? Why should WL have to do {insert stuff that pple do during SEP} when I am here on SEP?

Answer: There is no reason to do so! I don't have to! There is no logical reason why I should. So... I'm not going to!

People go for SEP for various reasons. Your reasons are not mine. And hell, it was never even on my list of objectives. So expect no pictures from WL. Sorry!

When I get back don't ask me how LA was like, cause I never went around. You can ask me about UCLA though...

No comments: