Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Political Science Today!!!

Had my first political science lecture today, and my was it damn funny.

For starters, apparently the module/course is like fucking hot. Everyone wants to get it. Some 4th Year student complained at the end of the lecture that he finally got a space after four fucking years of "bidding". Lucky as EAP student, prof was nice and said ok.

2nd joke. There wasn't even enough space in the LT to let all the students sit down, i.e. not enuff chairs. WL, with his initiative went to drag a chair from the classroom across the hallway, so that I wouldn't be standing like an idiot for 1.5hrs (like some of the Americans dude... LOL). And they say Singaporeans are not creative and too rigid...

Prof told the dudes at the door (or outside the lecture door cause they couldn't squeeze in, cause you see a lot of students ended up sitting on the floor) to fuck off literally. Don't bother if you're not enrolled, I have a waiting list this *long* he said.

Funny guy. Oh ya, about the shit everyone says that Singaporeans are being spoonfed. Check this out... Some quotes from prof as I can remember it:

"Don't copy down everything on the notes, I'll tell you when and what to copy."
"Text in red is important, I would take it down"
"Text in black is not important, do not copy"
"As I have said before, I will tell you what will be on the exam... don't bother learning everything."

And I thought CWS hand-icon to copy down stuff was spoonfeeding enuff... Hey, I'm not complaining man! LOL...

One weird thing I've noticed. Most of UCLA modules go by absolute grading system (unlike NUS fucking curve). Today, prof polled the classroom for who wants a curve system... obviously no idiot raised his/her hands. BUT, it seems quite universal that 70 marks = C, 80marks = B, 90marks = A. Anything below 70 gets you a F.

Ok fuck... should I be worried? Or is it profs give high marks here all the time, numerically speaking of course...

1 comment:

d3ject said...

but it makes sense no? under curve, majority is condemned.. unless the prof is bastard la..