Monday, January 7, 2008

I'm Fucked for my Chemistry Modules/Courses

Oh yeah, I am seriously in deep shit for my UCLA Chemistry courses(modules). Today, we had the first lecture of CHEM110B and CHEM171:

CHEM110B: Introduction to Statistical Thermodynamics
Technically speaking, the one-liner description on the course catalog said the course would include Kinetics, hence I figured it would be a 50% match with CM2132 Physical Chemistry. Guess not!!! Prof said that since CHEM110B was like a "terminal" course, i.e. it doesn't lead to any other course, he can teach wadever he likes. And being a QM trained hardcore theoretical chemist, he has decided to teach Statistical Thermodynamics exclusively. Ok, I'm fucked... it just dawned upon me that CHEM110B would be the equivalent of a Year 4 course! SHIT!!! I think the standard is probably in between CM3231 Quantum Chemistry and Molecular Thermodynamics and CM4232 Statistical Thermodyanics. SHIT!!! x2 Did I mention that I haven't even taken Level 2000 Physical Chemistry? SHIT!!! x3

CHEM171: Intermediate Inorganic Chemistry
At the other end of the spectrum, we have CHEM171, which as I have confirmed with the Prof personally, it's like CM1111 Basic Inorganic Chemistry and CM2111 Inorganic Chemistry lumped together in 1 course, with each aspect given 5 weeks of 2hrs/wk lectures. WTF!!! That is way to shallow for CM2111 back in NUS! Today, we had an introductory lecture on oh... protons, neutrons, electrons, alpha particles (wtf?), Rutterford scattering experiment (wtf?), s/p/d/f-orbitals... erm... people were copying stuff down you know... and I had to like wake my tablet up from standby like several times during the lecture cause I didn't even move my pen/stylus. Oh yeah, I'm fucked...

What to do now?
Ok man, seriously come to think about it, I'm thinking of skipping the first half of CHEM171 lectures since it's a CM1111 rehash (I'll attend sporadically just to be sure). Probably will need to self-mug CM2111 myself while I'm here. LWK, can we have webcast this semester? I need guest access to CM2111 IVLE page too... Please???
As for the CHEM110B, there is only one option out. Taking CHEM184: Chemical Instrumentation (equivalent to CM3292), but that class is freaking small like less than 20 people, and it's way oversubscribed. I need to beg the prof to make an exception. Exchange student you know! Flew all the way from Singapore just to learn about American labs!!! If I can't get CHEM184, then I guess I'm stuck with Stats Thermo... but the prof seems nice, maybe he will pity me and pass me?

No comments: