Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Does America Sucks?

Ok... you heard WL ranting on how America sucks. But let's be perfectly honest here. Finances and Money aside. Does America suck?

Erm... No. {Struggles not to think about money} Why?
1) Weather is better. It's not hot & humid like Singapore but (you see there's always a but) it gets very dry quickly. That means must drink water (fuck) and apply lip balm as often as girls put on lipstick. Wait, I think it's more often than girls do.
2) BT speed rulez!!! No questions asked.
3) You can do online shopping (conditions apply), see below. Plus, almost all electronic products get released in the States. Sinkapore doesn't get everything.
4) You have freedom of speech. And that includes after you speak.
5) A lot of good conventions and exhibits takes place in the US. The reason I can't benefit from this is because I have not done proper research before coming here.
6) My wife lives in Canada, and it cost US$100-200 to fly to her city. :D

In fact I surmise that you can enjoy America more if:
1) You have a US-based credit/debit card. That will up your quality-of-life by 100%. Not kidding man. Online shopping becomes fully functional.
2) You have money. Ok duh!!!
3) You have a car and can drive. That way, if you don't have a walking fetish you won't need to walk.

But then you say, "How bout the food?"

Alright, food. Let's do another round of analysis shall we?

Firstly, I realized I've been making comparisons between NUS food and UCLA food. As much as it sounds like a good comparison, the grounds of comparison are not solid. Why? Because UCLA food ain't "subsidized" like NUS food. To take an analogy, it's like saying we Sinkaporeans should be happy that the govt has provided such good progress to our country... cause just look at our neighbours like Indonesia. Bad comparison. One should make comparison with Hong Kong instead. {For those who get the political aspect of this good for you. For those that don't... typical Sinkaporeans you are}

So, now I shall compare the food cost-of-living of a working American adult with that of a working Sinkaporean adult. Sinkapore Food Court sells simple meals like Chicken Rice at $3.00 minimum (wait I think it was upped to $3.5o). More expensive dishes can cost $4.00-$6.00. Usually, it doesn't go over that. American stalls sells simple meals for about $4.00+, and typically it's more at about $5.00-$7.00. Although, I think it can hit $10.00, but those are for the roadside restaurants, that strictly speaking ain't too comparable with Food Court Food.

If you do the currency conversion, you will shout bloody murder at the food here. But that's not justifiable. Why? Cause we are assuming that we are residents in each respective country. According to my limited research, the starting pay of a degree holder in Sinkapore and US is about the same numerically speaking, i.e. Sinkaporean earns S$2.5k/mth, Americans earn US$2.5k/mth. Taxes aside, which I believe both are comparable (btw, CPF is a form of tax cause it locks up your money until you're dead).

So this means that the average food cost-of-living for an American is not that much higher than a Sinkaporean. Plus, coupled with the fact that Sinkapore food prices rises every few years or so, it would be hard not to surmise that eventually both countries will be on par. Of course, here I assume America does not inflate that much (I have no data on their food inflation rate).

So ultimately, the food in America is slightly expensive than Sinkapore, but it's not that much higher. Of course, the quality-of-food here in American isn't comparable to that with Sinkapore, but then again it's because we have been brainwashed (or rather tastebudwashed) to become accustomed to Asian food. And of course, don't forget that this is written from my perspective, and you know how picky I am with food. You need a PhD to figure out what kinds of food WL eat and what kinds he doesn't. Honestly, I think most normal people won't find the food here that objectionable. But then again, it's been said that UCLA Hall food is one of the best, so my experience may be a bit skewed towards the positive side. Arghh.... ultimately both factors cancel out, so we're back to the inevitable conclusion that the food here still taste horrible.

No comments: