Sunday, January 27, 2008

Nice Stuff - Supermarkets Comparison

Not too sure if I talked about this before. I kind of lose track with so many things in my mind.

Let's do a comparison between Singapore NTUC Supermarket vs California Ralphs Supermarket.
Oh yeah long story short, NTUC sucks. Actually NTUC sucks both in terms of the supermarket and the parent organization. LOL.

Granted, some information may not be correct cause I don't visit NTUC supermarkets often... but anyway...

There's one thing that the Americans have done right. Exceptionally well I might add. They provide information of the cost per unit mass/volume/quantity. De-jargon:

WL goes to the supermarket. Searches for the cheapest non-carbonated drink like Gatorade and the likes of it. In Singapore, WL have to figure out which is the cheapest. He takes out his phone and start running the calculator program. After 5min of pressing buttons because there are so many brands, WL finally finds the cheapest one. Now in America, I don't even have to do that. All items are labeled like $X.XX per ounce of food product, $X.XX per liter of drink product, etc... You get the idea. Plus, when they have discounts and I mean like HALF-PRICE... they mark them in yellow. So basically, it takes about 30 sec to find the cheapest product. 1 sec if you trust their yellow labellings for the major discounts.

Anyway speaking of discounts, when Americans have discount they really do have discount. The shitty 10% off in Singapore doesn't count as a discount. Discount here often means stuff like 50% off!!! And they're not bluffing. I went to check back a few weeks later and the discounted price was gone. Not like Singapore when their discount is all bloody fake one...

The thing is to take advantage of American discounts, the good ones, it's pretty "by luck". If you're in for a short-term stay like me... good luck to myself. But in the long run, say a period of minimum 1 yr, one should be able to grab items at cheap prices.

Of course, another law of American discount is that you cannot want the item urgently. For that, you're outta luck, like I was when I first arrived.

No comments: