Saturday, January 5, 2008

Singapore the Food Paradise? Here comes the competitor... LA!!!

Seriously, whoever said Singapore is a Food Paradise is just a fucking idiot.

Here, by defining the functionality of Food Paradise, I refer to daily food. Of course as a tourist to the green-and-clean city, it is a food paradise, cause one goes to Orchard area or wadever crap area to sample all the wonderful restaurants and such... but in reality, normal Singaporeans don't eat this way!!! So remember, let's use a more operational/practical perspective here of "Food Paradise", where we just refer to "neighbourhood food". Here I shall debunk why Singapore is not a food paradise, or if it is then LA is just as good as it, from the a certain point of view.

Here, in LA (or at least in UCLA), they are fucking lots of stalls. I mean there is fucking lots of variety, until I cannot keep track. Although I have a feeling it is by name only, i.e. many stalls with different names sell about the same stuff. Let's see, westwood village itself has numerous (by category):
1) Pizza & pasta food stalls
2) Burger food stalls
3) Mexican food stalls
4) Normal fast-food in Singapore like Burger King (but no McDonalds apparently)
5) Japanese food stalls
6) Chinese food stalls

Admittedly, options 1 to 4 are more common, but 5 and 6 are not like completely obscure. In fact, I would argue ultimately, LA has more variety than Singapore. Why? Let's see...

Cause in Singapore, due to the fucking franchising of our food courts, you will find identical food at almost all food courts. The economical rice at CCK sells the same ingredients as that in Clementi. WTF. THE EXACT SAME INGREDIENTS. And the food courts are always restricted to the same fucking variants such as:
1) Chicken Rice stall
2) Western Food stall
3) Economical Rice stall
4) Noodle stall
5) Malay stall
6) Indian stall

So technically speaking LA and Singapore is matched on the categorical variety of food sold. Of course LA is more skewed towards American food and Singapore towards Asian food. The difference now in America is that there is no fucking attempt to franchise the entire food outlet. So in this way, hypothetically, there will be greater variation amongst the stalls from the same category.

Hypothetically...

Of course, it should be noted that this argument is based on variety and not how tasty the food is. I'll report back on the quality of food later...

No comments: