Ok, frankly speaking... I'm quite appalled by UCLA's standard of chemistry. Perhaps "standard of chemistry" isn't a proper term... after all UCLA research beats the shit out of NUS. So maybe I will call it "knowledge of chemistry".
UCLA Chemistry Students from what I've gathered have an appalling lack of knowledge about Chemistry! I'm taking the CM3292-equivalent here, which is kind of a mix between CM3292 and CM2142 at home. I believe everyone (or almost everyone) in my class is a Year 4.
Dude... The Year 4s dunno what HPLC stands for! Dude... The Year 4s only started learning electrochemistry (at the CM2142 level) now! And the prof was commenting about some syllabus proposal to cut Basic Electrochemistry from their Year 1/2 General Chemistry courses?!?! OMG!!! What have they been learning man!?!?
To be fair, I've gathered that their education system is this:
1) Year 1 is basically General Chemistry, i.e. A-Level Chemistry and the CM1101 syllabus (old syllabus, not Betten's syllabus).
2) Year 2 is basically Organic Chemistry, that I admit they are on par with CM1121 & CM2121.
3) Only in Year 3 & 4 do they go into Analytical, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry. Sigh...
Look, I don't think it's NUS being too "advanced", the Brits will probably beat the crap out of us in terms of knowledge. They probably learn what we all learn in 3 Years only.
And you know what's the worse thing? I think the Level 1000 & 2000 CM modules do not provide sufficient foundation for graduate-level research, i.e. I personally feel that we should be learning more!
So the question is - How come the Americans are the top in the Sciences world wide? They have to be doing something right...
Oh yeah, there are Year 4 UCLA students who don't know how to label Figures & Tables in their lab reports. As in, they don't label them at all. They just plonk the graph there and that's it!!!
OMG!!! WHAT KIND OF STANDARD IS THIS???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment