Tuesday, March 18, 2008

WL's Next Tablet Upgrade...

Now that we have most of the IT stuff settled for this 4-year undergraduate period... it's left to the last task, the Tablet PC upgrade.

Now... WL's line of reasoning for the urgent upgrade is redundancy. Currently, with only one Tablet PC I am subjected to the mercy of HP's support service, which I must admit despite the numerous fuck up in the travel battery and the AC charger, their service has been quite commendable. Unfortunately lousy products and numerous trips to the service center has kinda soured that silver lining.

Categorically, WL will declare now... there is no point to upgrade to a Fujitsu T4220 or Lenovo X61T (in the event that NUS miraculously brings it in) if it is still based on the XGA resolution (1024 x 768). Indeed, WL is going to bet both his balls, that NUS in all their ingenuity will only offer a XGA-resolution class device. As I said, NUS Computer Center are made up of retarded people... and a preliminary call to Fujitsu seems to indicate that they won't make an exception. How typical, fuck up Singapore service. In fact, WL would like to commend HP on their willingness to do the custom-job for me. Unfortunately sadly for HP, their 2710p product can't hope to fight with the Fujitsu T2010... and their higher-end notebooks uses a lame AMD CPU. Sadly HP... your bad technical decisions has lost WL as a customer.

So, given this knowledge... the most economical solution to the Tablet PC upgrade is not to upgrade if I am just getting another one with similar specifications and similar battery life but with no screen-resolution upgrade. As I said before, the new Tablet PC must have an improvement. To combat my TC4400 decreasing battery life, I can always fork out S$200 for a new battery. And the TC4400 is good to go for as long as it can...

This means ultimately that it is imperative that I get a high-resolution Tablet... if not the cost of spending nearly S$3000 is simply put FUCKING UNJUSTIFIED. We are now pretty certain that Lenovo won't sell us a X61T with international warranty. Even if they did... the X61T bezel problems for the SXGA+ along with their fucked up attitude has turned WL off. Toshiba is out... because their warranty service is atrocious both here and back home (bloody weeks to fix a laptop can you believe it?) As fucking sadly I have to say... only Fujitsu is a viable option. Fucking luckily, their products come with International Warranty... and with my incoming P1610 I can finally verify the truth for it myself. So assuming all goes well, WL is left with the following choices:

1) Try to negotiate with Fujitsu Singapore for student discount on a SXGA+ model... Haha unlikely to work out.
OR
2) Import a Fujitsu SXGA+ T4220 from America. Admittedly, the price is not cheap... not like Lenovo who have perpetual 30% to 50% off the retail price. BUT they are still cheaper than retail price in Singapore.
OR
3) If I really want a Lenovo X61T, buy a stock-configured model with international warranty and have it shipped to Singapore. Arguably the costs of this is the same as buying a Fujitsu from America.

EDIT:
1) A controversial point even for myself. But WL was thinking since he will eventually have 2 Tablet PCs... the issue of Toshiba fucked up warranty service may not be that persuasive as before. Long repair time is a pain in the ass, but if there is a backup Tablet... it technically shouldn't be an issue. Here, I'm assuming that the probability of both Tablets breaking down is too low to be factored into the decision-making process.
2) Alternatively, WL could wait to Q4 2008 to wait for Lenovo to release their new Tablet model rumored to be X200T. It may be offered with International warranty. Maybe...

No comments: