Sunday, March 16, 2008

I'm Going In!!!

Damn... WL stop obsessing over the P1610. I realized that the last dickhead who bought the medium-spec P1610 was smart, US$900 is really a good price.

I found that upgrading to 1GB microDIMM RAM meant US$120 price if purchased in Singapore and US$88 if purchased in the USA. Now, whether or not Kingston will honor their warranty in Singapore is a thing that I'm still trying to figure out.

Upgrading from a 3-cell to 6-cell battery is also pricey. Worcell (Singapore company) sells a compatible battery for US$130+. I don't really wanna know what Fujitsu Singapore price for the original is. Several eBay sellers also sell compatible batteries for about US$90-100. Fujitsu US sells the original battery for US$150.

As always shit happens. Thanks to Bush and his fucked up law, regarding regulations on lithium (and hence lithium-ion) on flights concerning US, vPostUSA is now telling me there is problem of shipping lithium-ion battery. This means that they can't ship spare batteries to me, and it's possible that maybe even purchasing a laptop (which has lithium-ion) batteries is going to be complicated. Anyway, the vPostUSA representative I spoke too was retarded, she knew nothing... so must wait for their bloody email.

So, after talking so much what does this mean? For one to upgrade a low-spec to med-spec P1610 it's going to take US$180-250, depending on where I buy the items from. Obviously those from US (and assuming that I buy now) will be cheaper... but they will possibly have warranty issues, since one needs to ship em back to the States for RMA.

Thus, WL concludes that the "market price" of the low-spec P1610 should be US$700+. However, the problem is that the med-spec auction ends before the low-spec auction, and I could get into a potential situation where I pay US$900 for the med-spec config, and 10min later find out that perhaps the low-spec config went for US$600...!!!

Once again, I find myself re-assessing is the 1GB RAM upgrade and 6-cell battery really necessary? To be fucking honest... No. I can live with 512MB RAM, it is do-able since the P1610 isn't my main device. It is possible that I can upgrade the RAM later when prices drop, since the flood of UMPCs coming into the market might ramp up microDIMM production and hence a drop in price. And the 6-cell battery? Technically the 3-cell battery gives 2.5hrs... shouldn't that be enough? WL don't be greedy...

Thus in conclusion, WL bid for med-spec and low-spec will be US$900 and US$700 respectively. I know the former goes against my promise to myself... FUCK U WL!!! I better win something tomorrow!!!

No comments: